Best Organic Fertilizer For Tomatoes: Buyer’s Guide And Top 5 Options
Here we have two simple things. The first one is that we all love tomatoes and most of us love to grow them. The second thing is that growing tomatoes is more complex than growing other plants due to the fact, they require more nutrients and more specific growing process. Luckily for you, with our best organic fertilizer for tomatoes this task will be much easier. The next step is to reveal the best options and they come in the form of 5 products.
Top 5 Best Organic Fertilizers For Tomatoes
- Organic granular fertilizer; Fast acting fertilizer for vegetables and tomatoes for a more abundant harvest
- OMRI listed for organic gardening by USDA; Certified organic means no synthetic chemicals
- Contains Jobe Biozome; Extremely aggressive proprietary microorganism archaea that aggressively breaks down material for faster results
- Jobe’s Biozome improves soil conditions; Helps your garden resist disease, insects, drought and other unfavorable conditions within a growing season
- Easy pour bag; Fertilizer analysis: (2-5-3) 1.5 pound resealable bag, (2-5-3) 4 pound bag, (2-5-3) 16 pound bag
Jobe’s Organics 9026 is the best organic fertilizer for tomatoes and the one we liked the most. It is organic, granular fertilizer that is fully OMRI listed but also tested and approved by the USDA. It is organic and doesn’t contain artificial chemicals and harmful compounds. It does contain Jobe Biozome, a compound with microorganism archaea used to break down the nutrients easily and promote the absorption by the plants. As a result, it can protect tomato plants from insects, disease, and promote growth.
The NPK analysis of the fertilizer is 2-5-3 and as some of you may know already, this is an optimal value for tomatoes. The same fertilizer is available in other types such as palm, herb, fruit and so much more. You obviously need to consider the one type suitable for tomatoes. In addition, you can choose between 1.5, 4, or 16 pounds packages depending on how much fertilizer do you need. All sizes come with the same ingredients.
- Great for tomatoes
- Available in various sizes and types
- Jobe Biozome is included
- USDA certified
- Expensive considering the size
- Some versions are not available
- Instantly feeds to grow bigger, more bountiful vegetables vs. unfed plants
- Feed every 1-2 weeks
- Great for tomatoes and vegetables
- Use with Miracle-Gro Garden Feeder or any watering can
- Safe for all plants, guaranteed not to burn when used as directed
Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Tomato Plant Food is the most popular fertilizer of this kind. We tested a tomato version, suitable for this specific purpose. As soon as it is added, the fertilizer will start providing nutrients to the plants. You can expect larger, stronger, and more productive plants within days. The fertilizer is applied in liquid form and the manufacturer recommends using the Miracle-Gro Garden Feeder. It is sold separately. Of course, you can use similar tools to get the job done.
Ideally, a grower will apply the fertilizer once every 1-2 weeks. We got the best results when applied every 1.5 weeks and we believe this is the optimal amount. It is perfectly safe for the plants and won’t cause any damages to the roots, leaves, or anything else. The available sizes of the packages are 1.5 pounds and 3 pounds. There are others as well, but they are unavailable at the moment. Once again, different options are offered. This right here may be the best organic lawn fertilizer for some of you.
- Great for all vegetables
- 5 available options, all available
- Easy to apply
- Great when paired with Miracle-Gro Garden Feeder
- Larger packages are not available
No products found.
Schultz All Purpose 10-15-10 Plant Food Plus is the smallest package here with the total size of 8 ounces. But, it can be the best fertilizer for cucumbers, tomatoes and in general, for all indoor and outdoor plants. The secret is in the formula and the analysis is 10-15-10. You need 7 drops of the fertilizer every time when you water the plants. It is safe to use, promotes growth, and can be ideal when rooting, repotting, or when transplanting plants.
In the package, you get a dropper, which is used to help you measure the amount of fertilizer you want to use. Once applied, the nutrients will start reaching the roots instantly. The fertilizer is more powerful than others, so keep in mind that following the precise recommended amount is mandatory. Thanks to nutrients, the first results are visible almost within a single day. However, this comes at a price and we can add that the package is slightly more expensive than other products of the same type.
- Potent composition
- For indoor and outdoor plants
- Promotes the new growth
- Dropper included
- The amount must be followed at all times
- Grow a beautiful vegetable garden
- Flowers and foliage will be stronger and more colorful
- Blooms will be more plentiful, fragrant and longer lasting
- Easy to mix and apply by hand, sprayer, or drip line
Neptune’s Harvest Organic Hydrolized Fish & Seaweed Fertilizer 36 0z is 100% organic fertilizer suitable for most plants. It comes in a single version. The product is designed for gardeners who need one fertilizer which is potent, powerful and can be used for all plants at any given moment. In simple words, this is the best organic fertilizer you can have today.
Applying the fertilizer is possible via hand, sprayer or if you have a drip line. For tomatoes, you will have to use 1/8 of a cup every 1-2 weeks. The amount needed for other plants is different and it is explained on the bottle itself. You should check it before applying it. When applied the fertilizer, it will boost the color of the plants, their growth, and also blooming! You can have it in various sizes ranging from 18 ounces up to 5 gallons.
- Potent and powerful
- Versatile applications
- The recommended amounts are displayed at the back of the bottle
- Value for money for 36 ounces bottle
- 5 gallon package is very expensive
- Not a lot specifics about fertilizer
- “MAKES MY LIFE SOOOO MUCH EASIER!” - Mix with water, it dissolves instantly. Use immediately to water your plants. It doesn’t matter if you have sand, loam or clay soil; your plants will be the healthiest, most beautiful and flavorful as they can be. Because our Beneficial Microorganisms go to work immediately to condition your soil and feed your plants.
- DEPENDABLE AND SAFE - We’re a family business dedicated to providing you with the best organic plant food for your garden and the planet. 100% safe for you, your children and pets.
- PLANTS LOVE IT! - Works great for all stages of plant growth, from seed to harvest it’s like giving your plants an all you can eat buffet. Because every tablespoon is loaded with every essential element, micro nutrient and trace mineral your plants need to grow and thrive. Doesn’t break down into salts like chemicals do. And it will NEVER burn your plants - Guaranteed!
- SAVE TIME AND MONEY: Skip the difficulty of making your own compost and compost tea which takes both time and skill. And there’s no need to waste time testing your soil and then treating with multiple products. It works even if you are a beginner gardener, because our organic fertilizer works for every plant you own. Healthier plants also resist insects so you don’t need harmful pesticides. Economical because one bag makes 32 gallons.
- 100% YOU’LL LOVE IT OR YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE! We’re so sure you (and your plants) will love our plant fertilizer. That is why we extend a 30-day, 100% money back guarantee and invite you to reach out to us with any questions or concerns!
Plant Magic Plant Food 100% organic is known as the best organic fertilizer for vegetables and this obviously refers to tomatoes. To apply it to the plants, you should mix it with water, in which the fertilizer will be dissolved instantly and then you can spray it on the vegetables. It is effective for plants but at the same time, it is safe for humans and animals. It contains Beneficial Microorganisms, which will boost the nutrients in the soil and make the overall yield better.
One bag is sufficient for 32 gallons of this fertilizer. You generally need to use one tablespoon per application. As you were able to see this is 100% organic fertilizer and we actually tested this advantage. There are no artificial chemicals of any kind in the fertilizer. Last but not least, it won’t damage the plants in any way and it is 100% safe as well.
- 100% organic product
- Easy to use and versatile
- One bag makes 32 gallons of fertilizer mixture
- Safe for humans and animals
- Short lifespan
- Bad odor
What To Look For In Organic Fertilizer For Tomatoes
If you are still looking for the best organic fertilizer for tomatoes, you will need this section. It is a buyer’s guide and here we will take a look at the main elements or factors you need to consider right now. These are essential parameters you can use to find the best product of this kind within minutes and to avoid bad ones.
Indoor or outdoor?
What is the best fertilizer for indoor plants? Which one is the best for outdoor plants? These are two separate questions that come with separate answers. In a nutshell, most fertilizers can be used for indoor and outdoor plants, but some are designed for a specific location. They are different in composition and they do offer different benefits and characteristics, keep that in mind. Luckily this is a very simple factor to take into account.
You need a package that will be sufficient for all the plants. It is always a better choice to get a larger package. You will need it and you will eventually use it. Add the fact that most fertilizers come with a long shelf lifespan and you can understand why we always recommend larger packages.
How you will apply the fertilizer to the plants? There are three main options. The first one is granular. It is the oldest and still more preferable for some growers. But, it should be replaced, and adding it is complicated. Spraying the fertilizer in liquid form is simpler and you can control the precise amount. There are also spikes or capsules that are great for this purpose but you need to add one to each plant. The best option is the liquid form as you were able to see.
Best potting soil for tomatoes should be treated with safe fertilizer. When we say safe, we are referring to the safety or lack of a negative impact on animals and humans. Almost all organic fertilizers are safe, but some are not. If you have pets and small children, you should go for those that are safe.
NPK basically measures the percentage of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, all needed for tomatoes. However, tomatoes need fertilizer low in hydrogen and high in potassium and phosphorus. Ideal NPL is 8-32-16 or 6-24-24.
Best organic fertilizers for vegetables usually come with a neutral odor and it is the best option. However, some products have bad odors. If you are growing tomatoes in your garden and you sit there with your friends or close by, you will need a fertilizer that doesn’t have a bad odor. Those in the liquid form usually don’t have any odor while granular fertilizers usually have a strong odor.
- Is fertilizer mandatory for tomatoes?
Yes, it is mandatory and it should be used for all plants not only tomatoes. For example, you may need the best fertilizer for onions or other vegetable. The idea here is to provide essential nutrients to the plants so they can grow, develop, and provide better yield.
- How often I need to add fertilizer?
In general, you should add fertilizer to your tomatoes every 1-2 weeks. However, this will be specified on the back of the fertilizer you are using. Some require adding it more frequently, while others less frequently.
- Can it be used for other plants?
Yes and no. If you are opting for a generic fertilizer that is made for all vegetables and all plants in general, you can use it for the entire garden and indoor plants. But, if you are using a fertilizer made for tomatoes only, it should be used for this plant specifically.
- Can my fertilizer be used for indoor and outdoor plants?
Once again, yes and no. If you have a fertilizer that is made for dual purposes, you can use it. If it is made for outdoor usages only, it wouldn’t be a safe choice to use it indoor.
- How should I apply the fertilizer?
You will either use a granular fertilizer or liquid form. Granular is added to the soil, while the liquid is sprayed on the plants. The second option is more common and more popular these days due to obvious advantages.
- Which NPK is the best for tomatoes?
The best NPK for tomatoes is the one with a low hydrogen level and high in phosphorus and potassium. An ideal NPK is something like 8-32-16 or 6-24-24. Keep in mind that fertilizers specifically designed for tomatoes have this NPK.
- How long a fertilizer can be stored?
Once again, the answer is different and it depends on each product. The best organic fertilizer for vegetable garden usually comes with a long lifespan and you can use it within a year or even longer. Always check with the instructions to see the best by date.
- Do I need a special tool to apply fertilizer?
Yes, you will need a sprayer of any kind. No other tools or equipment is needed for this purpose.
Jobe’s Organics 9026 is the best organic fertilizer for tomatoes and the one that wins this contest. We liked it, thanks to Jobe Biozome advantage, the fact it is specifically made for tomatoes and also the great package. It is safe to use, offers amazing benefits, and can be used for tomatoes in all stages.
Meta: Want to find the best organic fertilizer for tomatoes with the best benefits? Take a look at the top 5 choices we actually have tested and now sharing results with you.